The Spread of New Coronavirus: Latest Updates & Prevention Tips
The deadly coronavirus (COVID-19) has spread to more than 70 countries and the number of people infected has gone over 90 thousand. Over three thousand people have died in eight countries since it first got detected in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.
Twenty-eight people, including 15 Italians have been detected in India, out of which 6 Indians test positive in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, one from Hyderabad and one from National Capital Delhi. This also includes the three Kerala patients who have already been recovered. No death has been reported in India due to novel coronavirus till now.
Coronavirus is a family of viruses that predominantly infect animals, but in some cases can be transmitted to humans. Usually, diseases caused by coronavirus proceed in a mild form, without causing severe symptoms.
Deaths Reported Globally
In China, around 80,151 confirmed cases have been registered and around 92.1 thousand people have infected globally, according to SCMP. According to the World Health Organization, 8774 thousand infected individuals have already been identified outside of China, 1598 new cases have been confirmed per day. Cases of infection have been detected in 64 countries, and 128 people have died from coronavirus outside China. The number of victims has amounted to 3127 people, including 2943 in mainland China.
Coronavirus in Other Countries
The US Federal Reserve, due to coronavirus for the first time since 2008, lowered its base interest rate to 1–1.25%, dropping it by 0.5 percentage points. The number of confirmed cases of coronavirus infection in Iran increased to 2336, while 1.5 thousand cases were reported the day before. The number of deaths reached 77.
US Vice President Mike Pence said that new drugs for those infected with the coronavirus COVID-19 may be ready in the summer or early fall. South Korean President Moon Jae-in said his country launched a “round-the-clock war” against the coronavirus. Over the past 24 hours alone, 600 new infections have been reported in South Korea.
Common Symptoms of Coronavirus
The disease appears to become more severe with age, preferring age groups 30 to 79. In the vast majority of cases, below symptoms are associated not with coronavirus but with the usual SARS.
- Increased temperature (High Fever)
- Sore throat
- Laboured Breathing
How is Coronavirus Transmitted?
Like other respiratory viruses, coronavirus spreads through the droplets that form when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Also, in rare cases, it can spread when someone touches any contaminated surface, such as a door handle. People become infected when they touch their mouth, nose, or eyes with contaminated hands.
How to Protect Yourself From Coronavirus Infection?
- To protect yourself from this novel coronavirus, keep your hands and surfaces clean.
- Wash your hands properly and keep them clean. Wash them with soap and water. Soap and water are superior to sanitizers as they have the ability to eliminate all type of germs.
- Wash your hands before touching your mouth, nose or eyes.
- At work, regularly clean surfaces and devices that you touch (computer keyboard, general office equipment panels, smartphone screen, remotes, door handles and handrails).
- Try to Carry disposable wipes with you if you went outside and cover your nose and mouth always when you cough or sneeze, and dispose of the wipes after use.
- Be careful when visiting crowded places like shopping malls, airports and other public places.
- Avoid touching the surfaces and objects located in such places and do not touch your face.
- Avoid eating from outside if possible.
- Explain about good hand hygiene and face hygiene to your children.
- Always wash your hands before eating.
- Ventilate the room frequently.
- Tell your children about coronavirus prevention.
If you find symptoms similar to mentioned above and caused by the coronavirus, stay at home and call a doctor immediately.